Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Palin debate ramp up

As is often the case, I'm reminded of a quote from the West Wing:
C.J.
Toby, I'm absolutely terrified we're going to lose the expectations game. I can't believe how many times I get asked what would be a win in the debates. At this point I feel like if -- and only if -- Ritchie accidentally lights his podium on fire does the President have a fighting chance.

TOBY
I disagree.

C.J.
Disagree all you want, but I'm right.

TOBY
These two men are going to be side by side on the stage, answering questions. That's the ball game.

C.J.
If the whole thing is, he can't tie his shoelaces and it turns out he can, then that is the ball game.

TOBY
And I believe he'll have to do more than tie his shoelaces.

C.J.
Not much more.


I think everyone needs to cool it a little on the predictions that Palin will have a total meltdown in her debate. If it turns out she sounds just slightly less dumb than Tina Fey's caricature, then we'll be treated to a mudslide of claims that she "won" the debate... when she still hasn't actually said anything of substance.

No comments: