Monday, July 02, 2007

More on Congress' Workload...

One paragraph on this week's 'toon, since I'm getting ready to catch a red-eye to Washington D.C. for the big American Association of Editorial Cartoonists 50th anniversary extravaganza...

The 'toon was motivated mainly by this article in The Hill, regarding a survey that they conducted which indicated that very few Senators actually read the NIE on WMDs before they voted for the AUMF. I remembered reading similar articles about the Patriot Act, and then I remembered articles on Congress' latest pay raise and the "new" 5-day work week (including Jack Kingston's quote about Democrats not caring about families). That was quite enough. An interest group called Downsize DC has proposed a bill that would require members of Congress to actually read these rather important documents before deciding whether they support them or not. I can't say that I agree with this group's broader agenda, but its an interesting concept. If it's just not practical to expect them to know exactly what they're voting on... ummm... shouldn't we change the system so it is practical?

OK, I'm off to our nation's capital. I'll bring you back a snow globe or something...

No comments: