Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jesus...

OK, I can't let this one pass. There are some seriously God-awful "George Carlin at the pearly gates" editorial cartoons coming down the pike today... even a few by cartoonists that I greatly admire. Some of these 'toons are made even more offensive by the fact that they're either borne out of a complete ignorance of Carlin's views on religion, or they simply (and rather ironically) miss the point of his material.

Seriously... is this what we do -- draw the same damn silly pictures over and over that'll recap any piece of news that might occur? Is it the deadlines? Are editors to blame for not giving their cartoonists more time to, perhaps, listen to a few Carlin albums and do a unique and fitting tribute?

GRRRR! Sorry, this particular one just bothered me more than usual...


UPDATE: Cagle has a post on this, along with a few more "Sorry, Mr. Carlin, you can't say those seven words here either" cartoons that I hadn't seen... (say... you guys know that he did other routines aside from the "seven words" bit, right?)...


P.P.S.: For those who may have been aware of Carlin's religious views and did their cartoons as implicit criticisms of Carlin, I offer a personal note: when Tim Russert died, I did a blog post criticizing him for being such a huge cog in the corporate media machine. Then I realized how tacky it would be to dance on the grave of someone who just died, so I put it in my pocket and bit my fucking tongue. Hint, hint...

4 comments:

EvilPoet said...

Thank you so much for saying something. I thought I was the only one that noticed.

Kevin Moore said...

Matt and I were chatting about this yesterday. We predicted Pearly Gates cartoons, but couldn't think of an appropriate angle - save for Carlin flipping St. Peter off.

Anyway, I just posted my own tribute. I can say with confidence, having just perused all the AAEC tributes, that mine is actually the best. I don't know if that is saying much.

Mike said...

Good commentary. I've linked to it in a more exhaustive post on the subject over at my blog:
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Abell Smith said...

thanks, Mike!