Monday, September 12, 2005

9/12/05 Cartoon

This one was a rather personal one for me. As I've written before, I lived in New Orleans for 3 years or so when I was in law school (using the term "in law school" loosely), and I really came of age when I was living there. I grew up in Seattle, where people tend to be pretty uptight, either due to the weather or to the pressures of adhering to the latest moronic yuppie trend. I'd never before experienced a place with an atmosphere like New Orleans, where a person finds it hard to do anything but LIVE and BE THEMSELVES. Schedules and "to-do" lists lose their importance. During the work week, people in the downtown business district don't rush around with pained looks on their faces. "Going out" doesn't mean putting on designer clothes and going to some silly dance club to interact with superficial people, and it sure as hell isn't limited to Friday and Saturday nights.

It is a place that compels you to just relax and live "honestly," for better or for worse. It isn't the healthiest place in the world to live... instead of a health-food store on every corner, there is a greasy Po-Boy shop or a bar. "Liquor stores" are basically... everywhere; any place that sells goods of any kind probably also sells booze. And they're often open 24 hours a day, like many of the bars.

Life there just flows. And I loved it.

This 'toon is slated to be included in several hurricane relief projects, with all proceeds going to the Red Cross. I'll post some links once they are confirmed.

2 comments:

zencomix said...

I know some folks that used to rub the Prof. Longhair bust at Tipitina's for luck, like some people do with Buddha sculptures.

Abell Smith said...

Yes, I believe they still do that. And here's a piece of good news: it appears Tip's survived the crisis (hurricane, flooding, and looting) intact.